Dental Negligence: From Misdiagnosis to Incorrect Procedures – A Blog by Sweeney Solicitors
Dental care, while often underestimated, is a pivotal aspect of our overall health and well-being. A
visit to the dentist should alleviate discomfort, enhance our oral health, and boost our confidence.
Regrettably, there are instances when dental treatments don’t go as planned, leading to pain,
distress, and long-term complications. Dental negligence is a significant concern that patients need
to be aware of. At Sweeney Solicitors, we are deeply committed to aiding those impacted by such
negligence. This blog seeks to shed light on dental negligence in Ireland, encompassing
misdiagnoses, incorrect procedures, and the legal pathways available.
1. What is Dental Negligence?
Dental negligence refers to substandard care provided by dental professionals, which directly results
in harm or injury to the patient. This can encompass a broad range of scenarios:
- Misdiagnosis: Failing to detect dental conditions or misidentifying them.
- Incorrect Procedures: Performing the wrong procedure or making mistakes during a routine
- Delayed Diagnosis: A delay in identifying conditions can lead to worsened symptoms or
- Failure to Obtain Informed Consent: Not adequately explaining the risks of a procedure to a
2. Potential Impacts of Dental Negligence
The repercussions of dental negligence can be extensive:
- Physical Pain and Discomfort: From persistent toothaches to damaged gums.
- Aesthetic Concerns: Misaligned teeth, damage to visible teeth, or poor-quality dental work can
affect one’s appearance.
- Financial Strain: Rectifying negligence can be costly, requiring further treatments or surgeries.
- Psychological Impact: Dental issues can lead to lowered self-esteem and mental health
3. Taking Action in Ireland
If you believe you’ve been a victim of dental negligence:
- Seek a Second Opinion: If in doubt about a diagnosis or treatment, consult another dental
- Document Everything: Maintain a record of all appointments, treatments, and
- Engage a Solicitor: Before pursuing a legal claim, it’s vital to have experienced legal
representation. At Sweeney Solicitors, our team is adept at navigating the intricacies of dental
4. The Legal Process
In Ireland, the process for a dental negligence claim typically involves:
- Initial Consultation: Discuss your situation with a solicitor to gauge the viability of your claim.
- Acquiring Medical Records: This will offer a comprehensive view of your dental history and the
- Expert Opinion: Just like in other medical negligence cases, a dental expert will be consulted to
provide a professional viewpoint.
- Filing the Claim: If a solid case is established, a formal claim is initiated.
- Negotiation & Settlement: Many cases are settled outside of court. However, if no agreement
is reached, the case may proceed to trial.
Dental health, while often sidelined, is vital. Negligence in this field can have profound repercussions
on an individual’s life. At Sweeney Solicitors, our mission is to stand alongside victims of dental
negligence, guiding them through the legal maze and championing their rights. If you or a loved one
has been impacted, reach out to us for comprehensive support and expertise.